Re: postgresql.conf

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf
Date: 2001-09-26 17:25:18
Lists: pgsql-general
On Wednesday 26 September 2001 09:29 am, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
> Thank you very much.
> Actually, it was the optimization parameters that I was interested in. My
> db works rather slow even in single user mode and I wondered if I had
> missed some setup.

See Bruce's Performance article, which is linked to from But, the direct link is

Even though it discusses hardware performance tuning, sizing the shared
buffer cache and the sort size is also discussed.

> BTW, is there a way to see what parameters are in
> effect?

See for
the basics.

From a psql session you can show any runtime parameter that is set by using
the SQL 'SHOW' command.  For instance, using SHOW tcpip_socket; from a psql
session I can get:
template1=# show tcpip_socket;
NOTICE:  tcpip_socket is off

Or even:
template1=# show shared_buffers;
NOTICE:  shared_buffers is 64

Use the listing in the administrator's guide (the link above) to see a
listing of the possible paramters, and then SHOW that parameter to see what
you want to see.

Although SHOW should have a way of listing ALL settings, IMHO.
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11