Re: UTF-8 support

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca
Cc: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 support
Date: 2001-09-24 07:12:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

> Which ones belong to the backend and which ones to the frontend?
> Or even more: which ones belong to the backend, which ones
> to the frontend #1, which ones to the frontend #2, etc...
>
> For examle, I have two fronends:
>
> FE1: UNICODE, WIN1251
> FE2: KOI8, UNICODE
> BE: UNICODE, LATIN1, ALT
>
> Which ones SELECT pg_available_encodings(); will show?
> The ones of the BE and the FE making the request?
>
> In case I need to communicate with BE using one common
> encoding between the two if it is available.

I'm confused.

What do you mean by BE? BE's encoding is determined by the database
that FE chooses. If you just want to know what kind encodings are
there in the database, why not use:

SELECT DISTINCT ON (encoding) pg_encoding_to_char(encoding) AS
encoding FROM pg_database;

Also, FE's encoding could be any valid encoding that FE chooses,
i.e. it' not BE's choice.

Can you show me more concrete examples showing what you actually want
to do?

>> 3) Is there a way to query available encodings in PostgreSQL for display in
>> pgAdmin.
>
> Could pgAdmin display multibyte chars in the first place ?

Wao. If pgAdmin could not display multibyte chars, all discussions
here are meaningless:-<
--
Tatsuo Ishii