Re: PosgreSQL to WIN 2000

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: kelly(dot)c(dot)ferguson(at)exxonmobil(dot)com
Cc: kevlo(at)freeBSD(dot)org, Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PosgreSQL to WIN 2000
Date: 2001-09-21 12:22:34
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Kelly,

In the future, please post to pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org instead of
sending private email, so others can benefit too.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 08:28:28AM -0500, kelly(dot)c(dot)ferguson(at)exxonmobil(dot)com wrote:
> How big is Cygwin?

I haven't check recently, but about 200 - 300 MB of compressed tarballs
to download which obviously gets bigger when installed.

> I tried to download it several times and it would not
> complete. Boxes would pop up saying that it was unable to grab this
> file...

Just choose another mirror:

http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html

> When you install Charles Wilson's Cygwin32 IPC package, what does in"/"
> mean?

"/" means the root of the filesystem. Please read an introductory book
on Unix (or Windows), if you are unfamiliar with this concept.

> And when you install PostgreSQL 7.1.2, what does in /usr/src mean?

"/usr/src" is just the place to where Kevin recommends extracting the
PostgreSQL source tarball.

BTW, a pre-built PostgreSQL 7.1.3 is automatically installed when you
install Cygwin via its setup.exe. Why don't you just use this one
instead of trying to build it yourself.

Jason