Re: PostgreSQL funding/organization

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL funding/organization
Date: 2001-09-20 14:39:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 20 September 2001 08:58 am, mlw wrote:
> Now that GreatBridge is gone. (I'm pretty sad about that, they looked like
> they were working on some cool stuff.)

> Has this changed, in any way, the development path of PostgreSQL?

Just my personal opinion:

While PostgreSQL was developed prior to _any_ substantial funding through the
efforts of the PostgreSQL Global Development Group on volunteer basis, the
fact that Bruce, Tom, and Jan will have to make a living elsewhere might very
well impact the speed of development.

Although, Tom was doing an incredible amount of bugfixing long before Great
Bridge. Bruce was doing the same things before Great Bridge as he did while
employed at GB. Jan added PL/Tcl and PL/pgsql (and foreign keys, and many
other things) long before Great Bridge was on the map at all.

And the other three members of the core group have never been employed by
Great Bridge. And look at Vadim's, Thomas', and Marc's work.... I don't
think the lackof GB funding will impact the direction of development, even if
it does impact the speed of development.

And RedHat is still in the mix, as is PostgreSQL, Inc, and others. Great
Bridge wasn't the only game in town for PostgreSQL development.

Just one additional comment: PostgreSQL, being open source, isn't going to go
away because one company went away. If Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, or other
proprietary database vendors 'went away' the likelihood of their RDBMS
products being orphaned is high -- but PostgreSQL cannot be orphaned in that
sense due to its open source nature.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio