Re: secure ODBC connection

From: Mike Renfro <renfro(at)tntech(dot)edu>
To: Mister ics <mister_ics(at)HOTMAIL(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: secure ODBC connection
Date: 2001-09-14 14:58:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 09:17:46PM +0000, Mister ics wrote:

> does current CVS win32-ODBC support the TCP/IP tunnelling ? I can
> find various clients to connect to a ssh shell on port 22, my
> problem, instead, is to tunnel into ssh the ODBC Postgres SQL
> connection from-and-to the back-end.

Doesn't matter. The whole point of ssh tunneling is to provide crypto
for programs that wouldn't otherwise have it (certain pop, imap, http,
whatever programs).

As Matthew Frank pointed out, make an ssh tunnel from
localhost:odbcport to odbchost:odpcport and point your ODBC client to
localhost instead of odbchost.

To try a simpler example, I've used putty's terminal app to tunnel
localhost:9673 to a remote host's port 9673 (not for ODBC, but for web
work). Pointed my web browser at localhost:9673 and up popped the
remote web site. Secure as SSL, but without the cost.

--
Mike Renfro / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro(at)tntech(dot)edu