Re: installing postgresql on win2000

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Tsvi Klein <tklein(at)eecs(dot)tufts(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing postgresql on win2000
Date: 2001-09-11 13:34:25
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Tsvika,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:29:36AM -0400, Tsvi Klein wrote:
> I am trying to install the postgresql-7.1.3 on win2000. I already
> installed the cygwin software, as well as the cygipc package. I added the
> bin directory to the path and ran the ipc-daemon as a service.
>
> after all this steps i didn't really know what to do since I don't have
> any UNIX background.
>
> these are the steps that I did after the installation of the cygwin and
> cygipc:
> 1) moved the progresql to the cygwin directory.
> 2) ran the ./configure as specified in the install file. I got an error
> when I ran the ./configure file. (see attached file)

My WAG is that you didn't proper install cygipc, because the error:

C compiler cannot create executables

is typically caused by not installing cygipc. You can verify this guess
by examining the end of your config.log file.

In the future, please report errors by cutting and pasting text -- do
*not* attach gif files of screen shots. The goal it to make it easier
for those trying to help.

> can you please tell me what are the next steps that I need to take.
> Moreover, where can I find this gmake file that is mentioned in the
> install file?

gmake is GNU make which under Cygwin is just called make -- so you
already have this command.

BTW, why don't you just use the pre-built PostgreSQL 7.1.3 that is
part of the standard Cygwin distribution? When you installed Cygwin
(via setup.exe I hope), PostgreSQL 7.1.3 should have been automatically
installed.

Jason