Re: Full PostgreSQL installer for Windows

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: Full PostgreSQL installer for Windows
Date: 2001-09-04 15:28:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-cygwin

Jean-Michel,

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 04:28:50PM +0200, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> I would like to inform you that I am working on a full PostgreSQL installer
> for Windows.
> The goal is to promote the use of PostgreSQL combined with pgAdmin II.
>
> The installer is based on open-source NSIS http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis.
>
> 1) At first, I would like to automate the
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.1.2.README guidelines:

Please use the heavily updated postgresql-7.1.3.README instead. Also,
remember to include the following missing step from the NT services
section:

2.5. Update the /etc/passwd file to include the "postgres" user account:

# mkpasswd -l | fgrep postgres >>/etc/passwd

The above will be included in the next version of the README.

> - test the presence of Cygwin / PostgreSQL executables (if not present show
> a downloading link and quit installer),
> - installation and startup of ipc-daemon.
> - installation and startup of Cygwinsrv.exe under Windows NT/2000,
> - test existence of postmaster account,
> - start postmaster (possibly as a service under Windows NT/2000),
> - initdb if needed.

The initdb step may be difficult to automate until Cygwin supports
the "su" command. Note that this is gated by the new Cygwin server
development that may be starting in earnest at the time of this writing.
See the Cygwin developers mailing list thread that begins with:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2001-09/msg00018.html

> 2) In a near future, I would like to perform a minimal Cygwin installation.
> - I have no idea what minimum software is needed. Any information welcome.

I believe that you already received a response regarding this issue.
Also, try searching the pgsql archives since (IIRC) this question has
been asked and answered before.

> - Does the Cygwin licence permit it?

Yes, you are just required to provide the source for any GPL licensed
code (e.g., cygwin1.dll).

Note that I can also provide you with the script that can generate a
setup.ini for your minimal install.

Jason