Re: How to allow other users create databases ?

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Peter Moscatt <pmoscatt(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to allow other users create databases ?
Date: 2001-08-25 17:59:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Peter Moscatt wrote:
>I have recently sucsessfully installed PostgreSQL onto my Linux system.
> I installed it under the user name of 'postgres' and able to create
>databases Ok.
>
>But when logged in as my normall user account 'pmoscatt' then try to
>create/manage databases I get an error message indicating that I don't
>have the permission to do so and that I am not in the catalogue of users
>to do so.
>
>How can I fix this ?

It sounds as though you have not created a PostgreSQL user for yourself.
That is separate from your system id.

Log in as postgres; then:

$ createuser pmoscatt

or connect to the database as postgres, then

CREATE USER pmoscatt CREATEDB;

If I have misunderstood and you have already created the user, add database
creation privilege by doing this (when connected as postgres):

ALTER USER pmoscatt CREATEDB;

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver