Re: Users which aren't users?

From: Luke Tudor <ltt(at)pml(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Users which aren't users?
Date: 2001-08-24 11:32:15
Lists: pgsql-novice
	Problem resolved;
	It seemed to be due to some difference in the encrypted password file to pg_shadow.
	I altered the password in this file and all's well again.
	Thanks very much for your help -- it's really appriciated.

	Luke

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:54:04 +0100
"Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> Luke Tudor wrote:
>   >Hi,
>   >
>   >I am having slight problems adding users to my database. This problem has on
>       >ly recently occured since our systems were upgraded to Solaris 8 -- mayb
>       >e this is part of the problem?.
>   >
>   >If I try to create a user using:
>   >	"CREATE USER ttc WITH PASSWORD enter"
>   >
>   >the user appears in the pg_shadow table (and pg_pwd file). What I don't unde
>       >rstand is why the user does not appear to be able to login to the databa
>       >se if the information has been writtern into this table.
>
> What have you got in pg_hba.conf?
>
> --
> Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
> Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
> PGP: 1024R/32B8FAA1: 97 EA 1D 47 72 3F 28 47  6B 7E 39 CC 56 E4 C1 47
> GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C
>                  ========================================
>      "I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the
>       Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to
>       the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before
>       him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and
>       a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages,
>       should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting
>       dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom
>       that which shall not be destroyed."
>                                     Daniel 7:13,14

Best Regards,
Luke.

Mr L. T. Tudor, Remote Sensing Group   Ph,Fx: +44 (0)1752 633151,633101
CCMS Plymouth Marine Laboratory,       E-mail: ltt(at)ccms(dot)ac(dot)uk
Prospect Place, Plymouth PL1 3DH, UK   Web site: www.npm.ac.uk/rsdas/