Re: Strange behavior with large datas

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Cyril VELTER <cyril(dot)velter(at)metadys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange behavior with large datas
Date: 2001-08-21 17:15:52
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Cyril,

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 02:01:58PM +0200, Cyril VELTER wrote:
> I've done some test to find where libpq hang. It does hang on the recv
> call of fe-misc.c line 444. When it hangs, all datas have already been read
> successfully on the socket, so recv should return 0 on a non blocking
> socket?

recv should return -1 with errno set to EAGAIN in nonblocking mode when
no data is available.

> The problem is solved (but I'm sure that it isn't the right solution)
> with doing the recv call only if pqReadReady is true (else we set nread to
> 0).

Did you workaround this problem by modifying the PostgreSQL code? If
so, then please try to determine whether the problem is in Cygwin (most
likely) or PostgreSQL. If in Cygwin, then please report it to the Cygwin
list (cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com) with a small test case, if possible.

> BTW, does somebody know where I can find a recent native win32 libpq.dll
> binarie (the ones I find on the WEB have also some problems with large
> datas) ? For my client side program, I would prefer to have the native libpq
> to avoid deploying cygwin on all clients.

You can find the above at:

http://members.home.net/jtishler/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.1.2-1-win32.tar.gz

Note that they are untested by me but others seem to have enjoyed
using them.

Jason