Re: new install

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: roypgsqlcygwin(at)xemaps(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tigran <tigran(at)usanogh(dot)com>
Subject: Re: new install
Date: 2001-08-17 01:44:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 01:09:18PM -0400, roypgsqlcygwin(at)xemaps(dot)com wrote:
> look at cygrunsrv to setup any cygwin applications on nt/win200 as a
> service.

The cygrunsrv README file:

/usr/doc/Cygwin/cygrunsrv.README

has an example of how to run postmaster as an NT service:

cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D /usr/share/postgresql/data -i" --dep ipc-daemon --termsig INT --user postgresql --shutdown

Note that you will need to be running a recent Cygwin snapshot to get a
clean shutdown when NT shuts down.

> Remember to create a user that has acess to networks, the default
> service user doesn't have network access.

I would recommend running under "postgres" which is the standard account
name used under Unix too.

> Also remember to install cygipc, if you haven't already done so. cygipc
> can also be installed as a service, the program comes with commands to
> do this already. Actually, I don't know why I have to install it, none
> of the instructions I have read have explained what cygipc does and what
> its for (though I'm pretty certain if I knew more about unix I'd
> understand)

cygipc provides System V IPC for Cygwin. PostgreSQL is dependent on
System V IPC and will hang under Cygwin without it (i.e., ipc-daemon
must be running).

Jason