Are temp table really invisible for existing table

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Are temp table really invisible for existing table
Date: 2001-08-03 10:15:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Rahul Gade (Rahul_g(at)ip(dot)eth(dot)net) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
Are temp table really invisible for existing table

Long Description
Ok !!
I know creating the temp table with the name of existing table don't create any problem.
but, when i try to create a new table (not temp) with the same name as that of name of temporary table recently created it gives me message as "the table already exists"

try this :

create temp table table1(idd int);
create table table1(idd int);

should it be happened ?

Please help me in solving one problem :
my one function is creating or not creating a temp table based on condition. How the same function will recognise that the temp table with this name already exists(or created by previous execution of the same function), since the same procedure is executed in many times in a single connection session.
I don't want to close my connection, because it's not feasible for my application.

* Is there any function to check the existance of temporary table,
* is there any function which would check that the table exists or not without firing the message of "table does not exists"

Thanks for quick response in advance

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report