'order by' and 'desc' not working in subquery using 'not in'

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 'order by' and 'desc' not working in subquery using 'not in'
Date: 2001-07-31 08:15:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Rahul Gade (Rahul_g(at)ip(dot)eth(dot)net) reports a bug with a severity of 1

Short Description
'order by' and 'desc' not working in subquery using 'not in'

Long Description
Hello,
 I am facing two big problems,they may not be really big but in my case these are big :
 1) temporary tables can not be created inside function using PL/pgsql
 2) order by and desc keywords are not functioning inside subquery

in the following query i am trying to delete all the rows except the top 20 rows from reporttable.
How i can do this.
i have done this in MSSQL using same syntax

Out of these two 2nd problem is important for me,
plase tell me what to do,
                                    --- Thanks for response ----

Sample Code
 delete from reporttable where (srvServerid=serverid) and
(rptreportid not in(select rptreportid from reporttable
where (srvserverid=serverid order by rpttimestamp desc)));

No file was uploaded with this report

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Dong, MengDate: 2001-07-31 09:30:27
Previous:From: Trevin ChowDate: 2001-07-31 07:58:07
Subject: v7.0.2: can't use 'EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM'