Re: Pgbench Performance on PGSQL

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: kunle(at)ogun(dot)stanford(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgbench Performance on PGSQL
Date: 2001-07-22 11:09:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I notice from your postings on the PGSQL-hackers archives that you have been
> experimenting with PGSQL and Pgbench.  I have not been able to get PGSQL to
> scale on multiple processors. Tom Lane says this is due to the
> implementation of spin-locks. Have you made any fixes or additions  to PGSQL
> to improve scalability on multiple processors?

No.

> Is there anything else I
> should try?

The only thing I noticed to increase the performance so far is extend
the deadlock_timeout paramterter.

BTW, wal_sync_method parameter seems also impact the performance. I'm
not sure what kind of platform you are using, but from my experience
open_sync is the best for Unix, while fdatasync is good for Solaris.
--
Tatsuo Ishii