Re: crypt autorization

From: Calvin NG <calvinng(at)brel(dot)com>
To: "Rashid N(dot) Achilov" <shelton(at)sentry(dot)granch(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: crypt autorization
Date: 2001-07-16 05:26:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Greetings,

Ahh, using crypt. I am probably wrong, but I think the frontend
tools (i.e. psql) do not know how to do crypt. I mean there are
no options to tell itwhen to send clear text, and when to send
"crypt" password. And I am pretty sure the frontend tools do
not refer to pg_hba.conf as this is a backend file.

You can probably only use/test "crypt" in your own applications.

In any case, if you are concerned about sending password over the
internet, crypt is not going to improve security much. IMHO, You
might be better off exploring how to use ssh to tunnel the database
communication.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Rashid N. Achilov's email