Re: PostgreSQL on Cygwin

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Terry Carlin <terry(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Cygwin
Date: 2001-07-16 13:51:12
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Terry,

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 04:37:00PM -0400, Terry Carlin wrote:
> I saw where Dmitry Yurtaev <dmitry(at)channel4(dot)ru> stated that he thinks this
> problem is fixed in the latest snapshot.  (The news server is back up, but I
> think I will subscribe to pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot))  I will try to
> download the latest snapshot and try this.

I thought the the following:

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 09:11:09PM +0000, Terry Carlin wrote:
> > I presume that you meant PostgreSQL 7.1.2 above.  Also, you should try
> > the latest snapshot:
>
> >     http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> > Although it's a long shot, the problem may already be fixed.
>
> Will try that next week.  Although we run these benchmarks against
> PostgreSQL 7.1.2 during all of our Q/A cycles and get up to a 100 users
> and 12 million querys without having any memory leaks on Linux or Sun.

had indicated that you have already tried a snapshot.  If you haven't,
then you really should.

Unfortunately, there is a bug in the current Cygwin CVS that causes
PostgreSQL to hang during a DROP TABLE.  See the following for details:

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2001-07/msg00070.html

I can email you a Cygwin DLL built from Cygwin CVS on 6/28/01 with the
problematic patch already removed or you can use the 6/16/01 snapshot
which is the last official snapshot that does not have this problem.
Either one is after 6/15/01, which Dmitry claims no longer has this
resource leak.  Let me know which way you want to go.

You can find old snapshot here:

    ftp://ftp.ccp14.dl.ac.uk/ccp14/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/snapshots/

Note that the oldest one currently available on the Cygwin site is
2001-Jun-25.

> I might be able to send you a pg_dump of a large database that may show up
> the problem if the above patch does not fix it.

I was hoping that you can reproduce the problem with something simple
like a bunch of selects, joins, inserts, deletes, etc.  If I ultimately
need to pass this problem onto the core Cygwin developers, then a pg_dump
of a large database is not the way to go.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235

pgsql-cygwin by date