Re: pgaccess - international characters

From: Lars Bensmann <lars(dot)bensmann(at)epost(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgaccess - international characters
Date: 2001-07-14 03:20:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hello,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:32:22AM +0200, Lars Bensmann wrote:

> Now we have several Windows workstations using pgaccess to enter data into
> several tables. Everything is fine when using forms. International
> characters (like the german umlaute) work fine. But when I open the table
> directly don't get human readable output for the characters. It varies
> from one or several blank characters to "garbage".

I tested this on another box with Debian unstable installed (this includes
PostgreSQL 7.1.2).

When I use psql to enter umlaut characters everything is fine. pg_dump and
gtksql show proper results. Even pgaccess displays the characters
correctly. But when I enter the characters in pgaccess or update a record
I entered with psql I get this "garbage" again.

I examined this a bit more closely and it seems that the characters are
translated like this:

"a: <C3><A4>
"o: <C3><B6>
"u: <C3><BC>