Re: ODBC calls seem surprisingly slow...

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com'" <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>, Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC calls seem surprisingly slow...
Date: 2001-07-11 14:24:07
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Dave,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:54:31PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> No, I'm afraid not, only experience. I run PostgreSQL 7.1.2 on Slackware
> Linux 7.1 for about 25 users using about 5 different databases, plus it logs
> 5 webservers and 2 busy PBX event logs, and even when that system was
> running on a 128Mb 450MHz PIII (it's since been upgraded) it was
> *significantly* faster than 7.x.x on Cygwin on my W2K PIII 850Mhz laptop
> with 128Mb, with only me using it whilst developing pgAdmin (which is done
> on the Slackware box when I'm in the office so it's not the different use
> slowing it down).

Your comparison is not apples to apples. Usually laptop hard disks
are much slower than desktop ones, which could be causing some of the
perceived slowness. Nevertheless, like I said before, a Cygwin app
should be expected to be slower than a Linux app on the same hardware.
I'll be very interested to see Terry's apples to apples comparison,
if I can help solve the Cygwin DLL (or PostgreSQL) resource leak. Sigh...

> But like I said, your efforts are very much appreciated, without them, there
> are 15,000+ (seriously - my fingers hurt!) lines of code for the new version
> of pgAdmin that wouldn't have been written.

You're very welcome.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: 732.264.8770 x235