Re: Libpq.dll on MinGW, was Re: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Christof Petig <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de>
Cc: Steve Jorgensen <jorgens(at)coho(dot)net>, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org, cygwin(at)sources(dot)redhat(dot)com
Subject: Re: Libpq.dll on MinGW, was Re: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU
Date: 2001-07-11 14:13:42
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Christof,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:30:16PM +0200, Christof Petig wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
>
> > By "using Cygwin/gcc" do you mean Cygwin's gcc -mno-cygwin or Mingw
> > mode?  If so, then it should be possible but I don't know of anyone who
> > has done it yet.
>
> I have compiled and successfully tested libpq with mingw, including ecpg
> support. See my posting on psql-cygwin and mingw-users on july 2nd.

I actually read that email, but was on vacation at the time, so it went
right out of my mind -- those pesky holidays and vacations getting in
the way yet again! :,)

I have reviewed your patch.  IMO, only some of it would be accepted into
the mainline source by the PostgreSQL development team.  However, I feel
that your work is important and a very good start.

Would you be willing to take this to the next level?  First, you would
need to make a new Mingw Makefile (src/makefiles/Makefile.mingw) and port
header file template (src/include/port/mingw.h).  Then, diddle with the
autoconf stuff to select these new templates.  Finally, you would need
to convince make to just build the Mingw build-able stuff.

BTW, when reviewing your patch, I noticed a hunk against config.h.  Did
you configure under Cygwin first and then make your changes?  If not,
how was config.h generated?

I would be willing to review your patches before you submit then to
pgsql-patches.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235