DatabaseMetaData.getCatalogs()

From: jason(at)netspade(dot)com
Subject: DatabaseMetaData.getCatalogs()
Date: 2001-07-06 22:33:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

Is there a reason why getCatalogs() is not supported in the JDBC driver? First of all, what is the definition of a catalog? The MySQL JDBC driver simply returns a list of the databases so a simple select datname from pg_database; would do the same thing. However there is probably a reason for this and I would be grateful if you would explain.

I'm writing a database admin tool and so far I've made my own Connector class to implement things like this.

Thanks,
Jason Davies

jason(at)netspade(dot)com