Pg on SMP half-powered

From: Víctor Romero <romero(at)kde(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Pg on SMP half-powered
Date: 2001-07-05 14:51:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

 Hello, hackers!

 I am running postgresql 7.1 on a SMP Linux box. It runs, but it never pass a
loadavg of 0.4, no matter how I try to overload the system.

 The same configuration, the same executable, the same test on a non-SMP
machine gives a loadavg of 19.

 That means that a Xeon SMP box with 1Gb of RAM goes slowlier than a weak
CPU, with the same postgres, the same configuration, and the same test.

 Anybody knows what is happening? Is there something to do on a SMP machine
for it to run? I tried with lots of shared memory, and with "commit_delay=0",
but nothing worked.

 Yours:

Next:From: P. Dwayne MillerDate: 2001-07-05 15:22:05