Re: Weird error

From: Philip Molter <philip(at)datafoundry(dot)net>
To: Alex Knight <knight(at)phunc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird error
Date: 2001-06-27 04:58:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 07:58:55PM -0700, Alex Knight wrote:
: > NOTICE: Child itemid in update-chain marked as unused - can't continue
: > repair_frag
:
: I'm fairly sure you are _suppose_ to run VACUUM ANALYZE when there are no
: clients connected to the database. You may have to have your cron job
: temporarily suspend remote connectivity while the actions are performed.

Hrmm, if that's the case, then that REALLY sucks. I have a system
that's constantly running, forcing me to run VACUUM ANALYZE on it
because Postgres will constantly consume CPU if I don't. However, I
need to stop or suspend my constantly running system to solve the
problem.

What causes that resource issue again?

And 90% of the time, I can run VACUUM ANALYZE just fine, without any
errors (in fact, it was running on the hour for about 10 hours before I
got the first warning).

* Philip Molter
* DataFoundry.net
* http://www.datafoundry.net/