Re: Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords

From: Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords
Date: 2001-06-26 18:49:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:03:38AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > the fix is for the authentication behaviour, not the adminitrative interface
> > (ie. ALTER USER).
>
> But the fix disables crypt authentication, at least until we do double
> encryption.

only if the dbadmin decides to store crypt'd passwords in pg_shadow.

the code only alters the behaviour of the way the client and server
passwords are compared, if, and only if, the auth type is "password pg_shadow".

the current code does not allow a method for the client to pass clear-text
password, and have it compared to an encrypted pg_shadow.

i consider this broken (especially given the intention of using
"password /some/file").

--
[ Jim Mercer jim(at)reptiles(dot)org +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]