Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords
Date: 2001-06-26 04:00:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> in my applications, i have SSL covering the client->app (browser->PHP code),
> so the sniffing would need to be on the wire from the app-server -> database
> server, which in many cases is the same machine.
>
> my mods don't alter the operation of the server in any respect.
>
> they do, however, allow people the choice of using a traditional
> telnetd/binlogin authentication scheme without resorting to external password
> files.

One good point you have is what do we do with 'password' authentication
once we encrypt pg_shadow. My guess is that we just disallow it. It is
insecure and was only there for clients that couldn't do crypt. They
all have that now. It should just go away. We kept it around for the
secondary password file but those secondary password files are the same
once pg_shadow is encrypted.

One item of my plan is that you can encrypt individual users. You don't
have to do them all at once in case you have older clients for some
users but not others.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us