Re: Service reboot leaves postmaster.pid

From: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
To: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Service reboot leaves postmaster.pid
Date: 2001-06-15 16:53:41
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
I just tried re-building postgres for cygwin, using patches only to
ignore SIGHUP and not my other service-management cruft.
Unfortunately, testing shows that this doesn't suffice to get postgres
to start up cleanly after NT restart when run under cygrunsrv.  The
postmaster.pid file is still left around.

My plan to create a patch for cygrunsrv that allows it to send a
signal to the managed service process when it (cygrunsrv) is notified
that NT is shutting down.

Note that someone else on the Cygwin email list reports occasional
problems where cygrunsrv completely fails to start after NT restart.
In their case they're using it for sshd, not postgres, but even so I'm
somewhat concerned that cygrunsrv may have some timing-related
initialization problem.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred(at)OntoSys(dot)com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370