Re: [GENERAL] Should Cygwin PostgreSQL contain all header files?

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sherwood Robinson <srobinson(at)fredericksburg(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Should Cygwin PostgreSQL contain all header files?
Date: 2001-06-08 18:08:49
Lists: pgsql-cygwinpgsql-general
Tom,

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:40:47PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
> > The bottom line is should I be using
> >     make -C src/include install-all-headers
> > instead of
> >     make -C src/include install
> > or is PoPy's use of non-client-side headers incorrect?
>
> If PoPy is client-side code and not something that loads into the
> server, then I'd discourage it from using any headers that are not
> installed by default in 7.1.  Which headers are in question here,

The following are (some of) the headers in question:

    postgres.h
    catalog/pg_type.h
    utils/elog.h
    utils/palloc.h

> and what breaks if you don't include them?

I don't know.  I was just helping someone build Cygwin PoPy -- I am not
personally interested enough in PoPy to see what happens.  Since I am
both the Cygwin Python and PostgreSQL maintainer, it seemed like the
right thing to do.

Actually, I was much more interest in the larger issue -- which I
appreciate you answering below.

> As for your more general question, what you need to answer is whether
> you expect users of the Cygwin distribution to be doing server-side
> code development.  If they are, they'll want the full header tree.
> Otherwise it's just clutter.

So far, I believe that most users have been interested in just being
able to run the server and interface via JDBC, ODBC, psql, etc.  Until I
get more demand, I intend to only include the normal (i.e., client-side)
headers.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235