Re: Re: Interesting Atricle

From: ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Interesting Atricle
Date: 2001-06-04 21:58:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 04:55:13PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > This is getting off-topic, but ...
> >
> > I keep CSS, Javascript, Java, dynamic fonts, and images turned off, and
> > Netscape 4.77 stays up for many weeks at a time.  I also have no Flash
> > plugin.  All together it makes for a far more pleasant web experience.
> >
> > I didn't notice any problem with the Zend page.
>
> You are running no images!  You may as well have Netscape minimized and
> say it is running for weeks.  :-)

Over 98% of the images on the web are either pr0n or wankage.
If you don't need to see that, you can save a lot of time.

But it's usually Javascript that crashes Netscape.  (CSS appears to
be implemented using Javascript, because if you turn off Javascript,
then CSS stops working (and crashing).) That's not to say that Java
doesn't also crash Netscape; it's just that pages with Java in them
are not very common.

There's little point in bookmarking a site that depends on client-side
Javascript or Java, because it won't be up for very long.

But this is *really* off topic, now.

Nathan Myers
ncm(at)zembu(dot)com