Re: PL/pgSQL CURSOR support

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'Jan Wieck'" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL CURSOR support
Date: 2001-05-30 16:17:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Can someone comment on the use of FOR/IS in cursors?

DECLARE <name> CURSOR IS <select_stmt> is the Oracle PL/SQL
syntax. Since PL/pgSQL was written from the start with one
eye on portability from/to Oracle, I'd like to stick with
that.

It's relatively simple to just substitute all PLpgSQL (and
other case combos) occurences by something else, then replace
the gram.y and scan.l files with whatever you want and voila,
you come up with another procedural language as compatible as
possible to your formerly preferred database. There is no
reason other than that we'll have more PL handlers to
support, why we shouldn't have two or three different
procedural SQL dialects. All can coexist and only those used
in your DB schema will get loaded.

Jan