Re: docbook problem

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: docbook problem
Date: 2001-05-25 01:40:17
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > OK, I am farther now. The problem now is that the output is streaming
> > > to my screen as flat text, rather than creating html. Any ideas?
> >
> > This is a weird behaviour of jade if it can't read the style sheet. You
> > need to add the DSSSL catalog to your SGML_CATALOG_FILES as well:
> >
> > export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=otherstuff:/some/where/dsssl.cat
>
> Still not working. I don't have a dsssl.cat file. I downloaded
> OpenJade, the ISO images (renamed as iso-*.gml), and downloaded the
> docbook 3.1 and Norman Walsh style sheets 1.64.
>
> I dumped the ISO and docbook 3.1 in the same directory, and put the
> Norman Walsh in a subdirectory called docbook. Is that correct?

Got it working.

I did a Usenet search and someone mentioned having the Jade catalog file
in your SGML_CATALOG_FILES. I didn't have it in there. I only had
docbook and the Walsh style sheets. In fact openjade 1.3 has in its
Makefile:

$(TARGETS): FORCE
@$(MAKE) -f Makefile do=$@ $(dodirs)
@if test $@ = 'install'; then \
$(LIBTOOL) --finish $(libdir); \
mkdir -p $(datadir); \
cp -f dsssl/builtins.dsl $(datadir); \
fi;

This copies only the builtins.dsl file to /usr/local. I made a
/usr/local/sgml/jade directory, put _all_ the /dsssl file in it, added
it to my SGML_CATALOG_FILES, and it worked.

So obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. NOT! It is
software like this that give open source a bad name. :-)

Is there some trick I missed that would make the dsssl files visible
more automatically?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us