Re: Python (PyGreSQL) make install patch

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Pgsql-Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Python (PyGreSQL) make install patch
Date: 2001-05-24 21:39:33
Lists: pgsql-patches

Peter,

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 07:48:27PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Rip out the python makefile and reimplement the build yourself. ;-)

Did you say rip? See attached for a patch that converts from using the
traditional Makefile.pre.in style of building Python extensions to the
newer Distutils style. This patch is *not* final -- its more of a proof
of concept to see if such a patch would be accepted when finished.

> Besides DESTDIR, the python makefile doesn't support VPATH either. (It
> claims to do so, but it doesn't work.)

My patch will support VPATH if Distutils does. Sorry, I don't know off
hand if it does, but I can find out it if you wish.

> I'd also like a way to install the module as non-root user.

My patch still has the above caveat.

My patch also has the follow issues/changes:

1. pg.py is installed in $(prefix)/lib/python2.1/site-packages instead of
$(prefix)/lib/python2.1. I believe this to be more correct or at least
this what Distutils tries to do.
2. pgdb.py is also installed (as done by the original setup.py).
3. The new setup.py doesn't handle Win32 yet (like the original one sort
of did).
4. The problem with different PostgreSQL and Python prefixes still
exists. I believe the solution is to get the Python prefix during
configure and use it in GNUmakefile instead of $(prefix).

Would this patch be accepted if I resolve the above issues? And if so,
which ones are requirements versus desirables?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: 732.264.8770 x235

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgpy3.patch text/plain 4.8 KB