Re: C++ Headers

From: ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: C++ Headers
Date: 2001-05-22 20:34:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:19:41AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > This in fact has happened within ECPG. But since sizeof(bool) is passed to
> > libecpg it was possible to figure out which 'bool' is requested.
> >
> > Another issue of C++ compatibility would be cleaning up the usage of
> > 'const' declarations. C++ is really strict about 'const'ness. But I don't
> > know whether postgres' internal headers would need such a cleanup. (I
> > suspect that in ecpg there is an oddity left with respect to host variable
> > declaration. I'll check that later)
>
> We have added more const-ness to libpq++ for 7.2.

Breaking link compatibility without bumping the major version number
on the library seems to me serious no-no.

To const-ify member functions without breaking link compatibility,
you have to add another, overloaded member that is const, and turn
the non-const function into a wrapper. For example:

void Foo::bar() { ... } // existing interface

becomes

void Foo::bar() { ((const Foo*)this)->bar(); }
void Foo::bar() const { ... }

Nathan Myers
ncm(at)zembu(dot)com