Re: toast examples.

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: toast examples.
Date: 2001-05-22 02:55:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:01:26PM -0400, harrold(at)sage(dot)che(dot)pitt(dot)edu wrote:
> i've used postgresql for a while and i have been waiting for 7.1. now that
> school is out i have time to mess around with it a bit. after i installed
> it i started poking at the docs, but i havent found an example of how
> toast is implemented. could someone point me to an example? also would
> anyone care to comment on effectively using toast with php?

Do you mean source-code level implementation (i.e. changes to Postgres
internals), or the user-level stuff you need to know (i.e. how to use
the 'TOAST' feature in your apps).

If the former, the source code, I guess. -HACKERS would be a better
list to ask on.

If the later, you don't need to know anything. Just use a 'TEXT' storage
type and Postgres will let you store as much as you want in there
(I think there is still a 1GB/row limit, but that doesn't include the
automatic compression TOAST does).

So as a 'normal' developer, you don't need to worry about it, the
8K limit has just gone away.

As for PHP, TOAST really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Cheers,

Neil