Re: Re: Outstanding patches

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Outstanding patches
Date: 2001-05-15 15:41:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Oracle PL/SQL supports this, and PL/SQL code that I've seen uses it
> extensively. PL/pgSQL supports %TYPE in all places a type may be
> used, except parameter and return types.

It's not PL/pgSQL's fault here. The pg_proc entries are
created by the CREATE FUNCTION utility command that's used
for all languages. So what we're talking about affects SQL,
C, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, PL/Python and whatnot too. PL/pgSQL might
live with that very well, because it has some automatic type
conversion (using the actual values typoutput and the needed
types typinput functions) to convert values on the fly. But
a C function receiving a different type all of a sudden is a
good candidate to coredump the backend.

Jan