Cygwin plpython patch

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ernesto Revilla <aerd(at)retemail(dot)es>
Subject: Cygwin plpython patch
Date: 2001-05-15 18:02:59
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-patches

See attached for a small patch that enables plpython to build cleanly
under Cygwin. This patch together with my previous Python patch:

http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/mhonarc/pgsql-patches/2001-05/msg00075.html

enables full Python support (i.e., configure --with-python) for Cygwin
PostgreSQL.

See below for some more details and one issue.

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:26:39AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:54:06AM +0200, Ernesto Revilla wrote:
> > now I did it, so I wanted to ask
> > 1. if somebody could merge my makefile with the original one
> > 2. put the plpython into the postgres source tree 'pl' (as experimental or
> > whatever)
>
> It appears that plpython was recently (i.e., 2001/05/09) added to
> PostgreSQL CVS. So the above is not necessary.
>
> However, a small patch is necessary for plpython to build cleanly under
> Cygwin. Please get the latest PostgreSQL from CVS and apply the
> attached patch. I ran the supplied test.sh and all tests passed with
> the exception of the oid related ones (which is to be expected).
>
> I would be very interested to hear if plpython works for you in a real
> application, so please let me know.
>
> I intend improve my patch as follows:
>
> 1. add -DUSE_DL_IMPORT to CPPFLAGS in a cleaner way

I moved this hunk from src/pl/plpython/Makefile to
src/makefiles/Makefile.win to help keep all (well most) of the Win32
crud in one place.

> 2. deal with the different socket module name in Python 1.5.x and 2.x,
> if possible

My patch contains a hunk for src/pl/plpython/feature.expected since
Python 2.1's underlying socket (shared extension) module is "_socket"
instead of "socket". I guess one could have two different
feature.expected files, one for each version, but I wasn't sure that it
was worth the effort.

> I will also test it out on a non-Cygwin platform to make sure that I
> didn't break anything on a UNIX platform.

I tested the patch under Linux without any ill effects.

> Once the above is completed, I will submit the patch to pgsql-patches
> for consideration.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

Attachment Content-Type Size
plpython.patch text/plain 2.9 KB