Re: Including Perl DBI in our CVS

From: "Jeff Duffy" <jeff(at)alanne(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Including Perl DBI in our CVS
Date: 2001-05-14 01:55:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 12 May 2001 18:23:54 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Momjian alluded:

> Yes, we would have to become the main repository. Seems having multiple
> people access and test the interface would improve it. Someone would
> have to upload to CPAN when we update our copy.

Obviously, this requires the maintainer's (Edmund's) support on the issue,
but I don't see any reason not to become the repository. CPAN is merely a
distribution point, and unlike a SourceForge doesn't provide CVS services and
so forth for developers.

While Pg.pm may work, it is not DBI based and therefore outdated by
definition. All of the other database drivers have been migrated to the DBI
interface (OraPerl, SybPerl, and Msql-MySQL as examples) and in most cases
the old interface is now unsupported. New coders are taught to use the DBI
with good reason, and having the only Perl interface distributed with Pg be a
non-DBI one is confusing for users.

Maintaining both seems like a waste of resources. It is not ureasonable to
expect those currently using the standalone Pg module to migrate to DBD::Pg,
as the DBI has been the standard for db access within Perl for a good while.

And hey, I'll go on the hook to rewrite the Perl portion of the Programmer's
Guide once we can get DBD::Pg in the sources.

Jeff