Re: PostgreSQL 7.1 (current release) - frequent errno:55 (buffer space error)

From: Rasputin <rara(dot)rasputin(at)virgin(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.1 (current release) - frequent errno:55 (buffer space error)
Date: 2001-05-11 09:19:17
Lists: pgsql-novice
* Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> [010511 00:13]:
> Keith Bussey <kbussey(at)wisol(dot)com> writes:
> > I am running PostgreSQL on a FreeBSD machine with 1 Gig of ram, and dual
> > P3-733mhz CPUs. This server also runs Apache and is a production/web server.
>
> > I frequently run into the errno:55 on my site, if I simply click refresh it
> > goes away. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this, or how to fix it ?

It's a system error, I quote from man 2 intro

     55 ENOBUFS No buffer space available.  An operation on a socket or pipe
             was not performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer
             space or because a queue was full.

which sounds like you're running low on system resources,
is the box thrashing itself ot death when you get this error?

(Take this off-list if you want as it sounds system related, not
application-specific)

--
Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well in New York, and still waiting
for a dial tone.