Re: JDBC int8 hack

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyle VanderBeek <kylev(at)yaga(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC int8 hack
Date: 2001-05-07 20:30:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

Can someone comment on this? It appends :int8 to long constants in Java
to fix our problem with not using int8 indexes with uncase long values.
Is this fixed in 7.1, and therefore the patch isn't needed?

> My last attempt to post this didn't go through since I wasn't a member of
> the list, so I'll try again.
>
> There has been some discussion on lists in the past about indecies on INT8
> columns not being found/used by the optimizer. This really bit us on the
> ass with the application we're writing. I see fixing this is in the
> current TODO list. In the mean time, for those using JDBC, a simple
> one-line patch can help greatly (see attached). It simply appends
> "::int8" to any parameter added to a PreparedStatement via setLong().
>
> To test this, I created a table with 100,000 records using the attached
> perl script. Then, I used the attached Java program to perform 1000
> SELECTs against this table using the INT8 primary key in the WHERE clause.
> I ran 12 runs, alternating between using the stock PostgreSQL JDBC2 driver
> and my modified one. The mean time to run this Java program with the
> stock driver was 195465 milliseconds. Using my patched driver, it was
> 1558 milliseconds. Yes: two orders of magnitude faster (this of course
> relates to the size of the table being scanned).
>
> Please consider applying my patch to the 7.0 codebase as a stop-gap
> measure until such time as the optimizer can be improved to notice
> indecies on INT8 columns and cast INT arguments up. At the very least,
> this will now be in list archives for people having this problem to find.
>
> I also imagine this idea could be generalized to deal with similar
> problems mentioned in the mail archives about INT2.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Kyle.
> "I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z" -- Troy McClure

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us