Re: Null values where they should not be...HELP Please!!

From: Stephen Davies <scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sanjay Arora <sk(at)pobx(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, goga(at)tc-internet(dot)com, arminder(at)tc-internet(dot)com
Subject: Re: Null values where they should not be...HELP Please!!
Date: 2001-05-03 23:11:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
This looks a bit like the problem that I raised a few weeks ago.

It seems that either ODBC or MSAccess or (more likely) VB knows a way to
insert records containing nothing but nulls.

I changed my DDL to make the unique (sequence-based) keys on the tables
involved "not null". This sees to have stopped the inserts but has not
caused any error messages.

The database is only acessed via VB and Access. There is no user use of
psql.

Cheers,
Stephen Davies

On Thu, 03 May 2001 15:36:03 -0400, Tom Lane said:
> Sanjay Arora <sk(at)pobx(dot)com> writes:
> > Assuming even that the application is trying to store null where it should
> > not, PG should raise an error, instead of accepting the same.
>
> Indeed.  No one has reported any such problem before, AFAIR.  Are you
> sure the columns are marked NOT NULL?
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133

pgsql-interfaces by date

Previous:From: Justin BanksDate: 2001-05-03 21:05:43
Subject: Re: Re: libpq++