Re: Initdb and IpcMemoryCreate Errors

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Initdb and IpcMemoryCreate Errors
Date: 2001-05-01 11:36:54
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Dave,

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 08:23:47AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> I've found the error (which probably caused my earlier problem to continue
> longer than they needed to). In my clean installation, cygwin1.dll is
> installed in /bin. I downloaded cygwin-1.3.1.tar.gz and then untarred it
> over my existing installation, not realising that in the archive,
> cygwin1.dll (and some other .exes) is in /usr/bin. So all the time I *had*
> upgraded to 1.3.1, it was just that the older .dll was in a directory
> located before /usr/bin in the path! I've now moved the files from /usr/bin
> to /bin, and all works fine (and uname -r proves I am running 1.3.1 this
> time).

I surmised that there was some kind of installation issue that was causing
you to run a different (i.e., older) DLL than you thought that you were.

However, I must also point out that your installation still seems
not to be correct (or at least standard and hence supportable by the
Cygwin list). If you use Cygwin's setup.exe, then /bin and /usr/bin
are effectively the same directory due to entries in the mount table.

For example, on my system I have the following:

$ mount
D:\Cygwin\bin /usr/bin system binmode
D:\Cygwin\lib /usr/lib system binmode
D:\Cygwin / system binmode

The first and third entries above make /bin and /usr/bin synonymous.

Did you use Cygwin's setup.exe? If not, then please do so in the
future.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235