Hello

From: Javier Elizalde <javierslp(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hello
Date: 2001-04-30 17:42:17
Lists: pgsql-ports
Hello,
I'm trying to use Posgresql to create databases and
uses with cgi´s, but I have problems to create
databases. Somebody here installed postgresql and I
don´t know if this installation is good.

The version of Postgres
v6.5

Your operating system
Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)

Your hardware (SPARC, i486, etc.).
Kernel 2.2.14-5.0 on an i686

Did you compile, install and run the regression tests
cleanly? If not, what source code did you change (i.e.
patches you applied, changes you made, etc.), what
tests failed, etc. It is normal to get many warning
when you compile. You do not need to report these.

this is the message that I got:

[root(at)puerta pgsql]# initdb
initdb does not know where to find the files that make
up
Postgres (the PGLIB directory).  You must identify the
PGLIB
directory either with a --pglib invocation option, or
by
setting the PGLIB environment variable, or by having a
program
called 'postconfig' in your search path that outputs
an asignment
for PGLIB.

I didn´t find PGLIB. I have this directory:
/usr/lib/pgsql/

[root(at)puerta pgsql]# ls
backup               jdbc6.5-1.1.jar
perl5               pltcl.so
config.guess         jdbc6.5-1.2.jar
pg_geqo.sample      python
db.out               local1_template1.bki.source
pg_hba.conf.sample  test
global1.bki.source   local1_template1.description
pgaccess
global1.description  odbcinst.ini

or this is another message that I got it :

[root(at)puerta pgsql]# createdb
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'root' is not in 'pg_shadow'

createdb: database creation failed on javierec.
[root(at)puerta pgsql]# % initdb

I hope you can help me , thanks for your attention...