Cygwin: postgres.exe exits with "*** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed" message

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cygwin: postgres.exe exits with "*** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed" message
Date: 2001-04-30 16:35:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David Polberger (dpol(at)swipnet(dot)se) reports a bug with a severity of 1

Short Description
Cygwin: postgres.exe exits with "*** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed" message

Long Description
(Note that this bug might be considered a duplicate of #188).

I have installed PostgreSQL v7.1 on a system running Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 with a recent Cygwin installation. I have followed the installation instructions to the letter, both in INSTALL and doc/FAQ_MSWIN. ./configure, make, make install and initdb work fine. Then I try to execute the following command:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &

Per the instructions in INSTALL. postmaster.exe is loaded in the background, as expected. Approximately one second later, I get the following error message:

$ C:\Utility\CygWin\usr\local\pgsql\bin\postgres.exe: *** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed

Note that I haven't done anything unusual; I have followed the installation instructions to the letter, as mentioned.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report