Re: Postgres 7.1-2 repeatedly fails to connect

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Richard Church <rfchurch(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 7.1-2 repeatedly fails to connect
Date: 2001-04-30 13:15:14
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Richard,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:23:46AM -0000, Richard Church wrote:
> Question 1
>
> I am able to install and initdb Postgres. But whenever I try to run psql or
> createdb, it fails and I get the message below.
>
> The part which starts 'backend closed the channel....'  always comes up with
> rest of the message varying depending on the message.
>
> psql: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
> createdb: database creation failed
> pq_flush: send<> failed: The connection was aborted
> pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: errno

What version of Cygwin are you running?  Some snapshots (i.e., 20010414
and 20010416) had UNIX domain socket connection problems.

> Question 2
>
> My postgresql.conf file is completely commented out.
>
> Can anyone show me a sample which will at least allow connection via TCP/IP?

Sorry, I can't help you with the above but try the following.  Start
postmaster as follows:

    $ postmaster -i

and psql as follows:

    $ psql -h localhost ...

or createdb as follows:

    $ createdb -h localhost ...

The above with uses TCP sockets instead of UNIX sockets.  Does this work
in your environment?

> Could it be the reason why the commands above are not working?

No.

>I  execute these commands from the cygwin console.

Using a Cygwin console as opposed to cmd.exe/command.com or rxvt should
have no effect.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235