Re: postgres on Win2K

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Kian Parsee <kparsee(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres on Win2K
Date: 2001-04-27 18:10:12
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Kian,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 02:34:16PM -0700, Kian Parsee wrote:
> I was looking through the user groups, and it seems
> like you're an Postgres expert...

I'm certainly no PostgreSQL expert...

> So you might be able to help me...

Nevertheless, I will try but *please* post to pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
instead of sending private email to so others can benefit too.

> I just recently downloaded Cygwin 1.3.1, the latest
> version of cygipc, and Postgres 7.1.  I built
> postgres, with no errors...

There was no need to build Cygwin PostgreSQL since it is one of the
contrib packages now.  Actually, please try the pre-built version since I
built it with a 1.1.8-like (1.1.8 with only cygwin1.dll replaced) Cygwin.
Maybe building PostgreSQL against 1.3.1 causes your problem.

> I start the ipc-daemon from inside of cygwin, and then
> I start the postmaster with the command posmaster -i&.
>
> When I try to do a createdb, I get this error:
>
> pq_flush: send() failed: Invalid argument
> pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above certainly looks suspicious.

> psql: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel
> unexpectedly.
>         This probably means the backend terminated
> abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.
> createdb: database creation failed
>
> Do you have any idea what is causing this?

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce the above problem on my Windows 2000 SP1 or
Windows NT 4.0 SP6a machines with the following setup:

    Cygwin 1.3.1
    PostgreSQL 7.1 (from Cygwin contrib)
    cygipc 1.09-2

Another suggestion is to try connecting via TCP instead of UNIX domain
sockets:

    $ createdb -h localhost foo

Does this work?  Or, does it fail the same way?

Maybe someone else on the list has some other ideas?

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

pgsql-cygwin by date