Re: UNIX domain socket change breaks PostgreSQL (was Re: initdb fails)

From: Christopher Faylor <cgf(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Cygwin-Developers <cygwin-developers(at)cygwin(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UNIX domain socket change breaks PostgreSQL (was Re: initdb fails)
Date: 2001-04-18 22:19:08
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 05:53:18PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Chris,
>
>On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 05:24:43PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >
>> >If I only back out the select part:
>> >
>> >http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/winsup/cygwin/select.cc.diff?cvsroot=uberbaum&r1=1.35&r2=1.36
>> >
>> >then PostgreSQL is happy again.
>>
>> I can't imagine how that could be.  That is a dummy socket.  It should
>> have no effect on anything but cygwin.
>
>By "cygwin" do you mean the DLL or any Cygwin process?  I wasn't explicit
>but both postmaster and psql are Cygwin processes.

I meant "internal to cygwin".  The SO_LINGER change only affects a socket
that is used by cygwin.  I think it is possible that reverting that change
might have slowed down select enough that it made things appear to work,
though.

>> I could believe that the change to AF_UNIX sockets would have an effect,
>> though.  I've backed out that patch since it was ill-advised.
>
>I will do a full cvs update, make clean, and make to verify that the
>problem is fixed in the current CVS.  I'll report back tomorrow.

Ok.  I would be interested in seeing if all of the changes that I made
affect PostgresSQL.

>> Could you try putting back the select change and backing out the net.cc
>> change?  I would be interested in seeing if that fixes things too.
>
>This fixes the problem too which implies that it should be fixed in the
>current CVS.

Good.  That makes sense.  I should have read the description of SO_LINGER
before I made the change for AF_UNIX sockets.  If I had, I never would have
considered it.

cgf