RFC - Admin manual index (draft)

From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RFC - Admin manual index (draft)
Date: 2001-04-17 19:39:32
Lists: pgsql-docs

Well, here's my first stab at indexing the admin manual. Sorry about the
delay, but it was one part lack of round tuits and two parts half-wittery on
my part.

http://www.archonet.com/pgadmin/

I've tried to concentrate on getting environment variables, config settings
etc indexed since I figure people will run a text-search on the index page to
find a specific thing.

I still need to go through and refactor the whole thing and also figure out
how the "see xxx" bit works.

It's based on CVS of a week or so ago, so I'll need to update it to match
current. Was having problems doing a cvs update - seemed to be doing something
but was sending one packet every minute or so - might just be the server was
busy.

Any comments gratefully received. Some notes/thoughts below:

I'm getting 12 index entries ignored and no idea why (didn't notice until I'd
almost finished). Any smart ideas how to figure out which 12 of the 200?

Would it be possible to use entities to add indexterms? Then we could have a
central list of index definitions and just put &idx-backup-pgdump; in the
actual document. Might help to keep the index structured.

Some of the links in the index have very good names, some less good. I'm
guessing these are taken from the id attributes. Any problems with renaming a
few of these presuming I grepped for references to the original id's?

If this gets accepted for inclusion, I take it I need to do a make clean then
a cvs diff?

PS - congrats to any/all involved in the release of 7.1 - nice work.

- Richard Huxton