Re: initdb problem...

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: chris markiewicz <cmarkiew(at)commnav(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, chris(dot)markiewicz(at)commnav(dot)com
Subject: Re: initdb problem...
Date: 2001-04-13 15:34:18
Lists: pgsql-ports
Peter,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 12:53:05AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jason Tishler writes:
>
> > I think that I know what your problem is.  Did you forget to start the
> > ipc-daemon?  This must be running whenever postmaster is running.
> > Otherwise, initdb, postmaster, etc. will hang.
>
> Isn't there some way this could behave more intelligently?  I would think
> that if ipc-daemon isn't running then there is no SysV IPC and shmget() or
> semget() should fail with some error.  Or it could die horribly, but not
> hang.

My WAG is yes, but I haven't looked into the (cygipc) code.

Note that with cygipc 1.09 and later (thanks to Fred), ipc-daemon can
be installed as an NT service.  Once ipc-daemon is installed as such,
it is automatically started when NT is booted.  Since I always install
ipc-daemon as a service, I have little motivation to track down this hang.
However, I hope not to discourage anyone else from finding the cause of
the hang and fixing it.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235