Re: PostgreSQL for WinNT

From: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-Ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL for WinNT
Date: 2001-04-13 15:28:17
Lists: pgsql-ports
Jason,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 10:27:03AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> I just did the following (with 7.1rc4):
>
>     $ cd src/interfaces/odbc
>     $ make
>
> The above produced psqlodbc.dll which seems to be exporting the "right
> stuff."  How do I test this -- I have never used ODBC before.

Here are some messages I sent about my experience with this a few
months back.

<http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-odbc/2001-02/msg00010.html>
<http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-odbc/2001-02/msg00011.html>

> I'm quite willing to include ODBC support in my distribution.  However I
> will only include a Cygwin psqlodbc.dll -- including a straight Win32 one
> is confusing and could cause some problems.  There are too many Cygwin
> to non-Cygwin interaction problems on the Cygwin mailing list already...

A pure Cygwin version is fine by me, if one is available.  When I
asked for information about how to build an ODBC DLL that works,
Hiroshi Inoue was the only person to respond with any help, and he
steered me to the VC++ method given by the readme.txt.  That worked
and I left it at that.  The messages behind the above URLs recount my
problems trying to use the DLL built in response to configuring with
'--with-ODBC'.

OTOH, wouldn't a non-Cygwin DLL be useful for those cases where the
client machine isn't running the postgres/postmaster service, but
wants to access such a service on a remote machine?  It would be a
shame to have to install Cygwin just to allow that ODBC DLL to run.

> I just did the following (with 7.1rc4):
>
>     $ cd src/interfaces/odbc
>     $ nmake -f win32.mak
>
> The above produced Win32 psqlodbc.dll and seems to be much easier than
> trying to follow the steps in src/interfaces/odbc/readme.txt.

When I get some time I'll try that and see if the resulting DLL works
for me now.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred(at)OntoSys(dot)com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370