Re: [PORTS] Re: patch for minor Win32 makefile bug

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fred Yankowski <fcy(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Re: patch for minor Win32 makefile bug
Date: 2001-04-02 17:44:40
Lists: pgsql-patchespgsql-ports
Tom,

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 11:23:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fred Yankowski <fcy(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> > While working on a patch that allows postmaster to run as an NT service
> > with Cygwin, I found minor problem in backend/Makefile.  In order to add
> > an additional library to the final link/build of postgres.exe, I changed
> > the DLLLIBS variable in makefiles/Makefile.win.  But this change had no
> > effect until I removed the line in backend/Makefile that also sets
> > DLLLIB, hiding the value from Makefile.win.
>
> Hm.  Clearly we should have only one definition, so I've applied your
> patch.  But if the one in backend/Makefile was the controlling one,
> shouldn't we make the entry in makefiles/Makefile.win match what was
> in Makefile?  Seems like that is the value that's been tested so far.

Fred and I had discussed this issue.  It was my suggestion that he post
a patch regarding this issue.  However after more reflection, I don't
think that we got it quite right.

I now think that backend/Makefile is meant to override the definition
of DLLLIBS in makefiles/Makefile.win so that the build of the backend
will not try to link with itself (i.e., -L$(top_builddir)/src/backend
-lpostgres).

However, the definition of DLLLIBS in backend/Makefile should not
completely overwrite the one from makefiles/Makefile.win.  Instead,
I think that the backend/Makefile definition should use the one
from makefiles/Makefile.win and remove the undesirable parts (i.e.,
-L$(top_builddir)/src/backend -lpostgres).

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235