plperl -- postgresql married to perl

From: will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: plperl -- postgresql married to perl
Date: 2001-03-31 00:47:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 04:39:21PM -0800, Soma Interesting wrote:
> At 05:47 PM 3/30/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >HOWEVER -- we do have arrays, don't forget... sometimes they can
> >be bent to do more than intended (but usually not!)
> >
> > create table mailing(
> > person_id serial,
> > sent int4[],
> > prefs varchar[],
> > current int2
> > );
> > -- insert, update, munge and frob, then
> > select person_id,sent[current] from something;
> >
> >--
> >
> >oh, and if your PostgreSQL instance is new enough, you might have
> >PERL built in, which could make all of this moot. (now we just
> >need someone to DOCUMENT the sucker so we know how perl can talk
> >back to postgres for cross-lookups and such...)
>
> Will, you are a powerful postgres wizard and never let anyone tell you
> otherwise.

nice to know i can still fool some of the people some of the
time. :) let's just say i'm a half-hour ahead of you on at least
one topic... (probably at MOST, one topic.)

> I may be able to use array's if postgres will allow using variables to
> reference points in the array.
>
> As for your comment about perl being built in, how can I find this out? I
> guess just try CREATE LANGUAGE specifying perl?

oh, hell no. if it were that easy, my tone of voice would be much
more pleasing.

i'm using debian 2.2 (potato) where all we have to do is "apt-get
install" and the package is downloaded, installed and configured.
i've got 7.0.3potato which is a debian2.2 friendly incarnation --
i specifically installed it from samfundet.no/~tfheen because
on the debian user list, 'they' said it had perl built in.

alas... i do have fancy capabilities in 7.0.3 that weren't in
6.5.3, but still no plperl... bitchandmoan...

--

apparently what you're looking for is "plperl.so".

% locate plperl
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc/src/pl/plperl
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc/src/pl/plperl/README

that document shows me how, if i HAD plperl, i could get it
active within postgresql...

maybe you should search the postgresql site for keyword "plperl"
and see where it takes you...

--
does a brain cell think?

will(at)serensoft(dot)com