Re: Consistent pg_dump's

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Consistent pg_dump's
Date: 2001-03-29 23:49:21
Lists: pgsql-general

* Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com> [010329 15:22] wrote:
> Alexey Rodriguez Yakushev <alexey(at)serinbol(dot)com> writes:
>
> > Let me rephrase the question, i have a web-based application which uses
> > postgres as its backend. It must be operating 24 hours 7 days. If i want to
> > make a backup of the database using pg_dump, wouldn't it be possible that a
> > transaction occurs in the middle of the backup, leaving the backup
> > inconsistent?
>
> I am pretty sure that pg_dump produces a consistent snapshot, using
> the same transaction isolation mechanism (MVCC) as the database
> itself. If one of the gurus posts and says otherwise, believe him,
> not me. ;)

My impression from reading the source was that it was consitant per-table
but not per-database. Meaning you'd get a consistant snapshot of a table,
but not of the entire system.

I could be wrong though.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]
Represent yourself, show up at BABUG http://www.babug.org/